Well, it's official! If Heidi were born today, she would be considered a "late term preemie" which basically means they're not much different (statistically) from full term infants. She'd most likely have a little over a week, maybe two, in the NICU. If we can eek another week out of her, I may not have a NICU stay at all.
I'll confess, though, I'm losing motivation not to be naughty with bed rest rules. I know Heidi's safe from here on out and that's the most important thing. In addition to that--and not far behind in importance--my husband is in town only for this week and then will be gone for the following two weeks. If I stay lying down, will he miss the birth? Also, my mother-in-law leaves Monday. She's sacrificed an awful lot to be here and it would be a bummer if she had to leave without seeing little Heidi. Furthermore, my OB is on call this weekend so I'll have a doctor I trust more than the others to deliver me.
As if all that weren't enough, my OB says once women get to a 4, they pretty much all go into labor very soon. So she doubts I'll make it another full week, anyway. So if I stay disciplined, I might get a few more days max; but it's very unlikely I'll get to 35 weeks or beyond.
Lastly, I'd be off bed rest anyway if it weren't for the "poor growth" diagnosis which, frankly, I think is a bunch of B.S. First, those sono measurements are very unreliable the further along a baby gets; second, even if she were as small as they think she is, she'd only be following in her mother's footsteps; and third, if bed rest is the answer to poor growth, it obviously hasn't worked this far so what's a few more days going to profit me?
So those are the tempting reasons to get up. And because I know too much, the potential cons don't really bother me as much as they might bother most women. I'll have to pump a lot in the beginning, and I'll likely have to supplement breast feeding with higher-calorie formula for a couple months after Heidi comes home. And although most women don't want a NICU stay, I'd actually be a little bit bummed if after all this I didn't get to see all my old pals who work there (you have to be a current NICU parent to go back into the halls and say hi to them)! So weighing the pros and cons, it looks like this weekend is a much better time to have a baby than trying to wait another week.
I just have so many reasons to get up and do jumping jacks until my water breaks . . .
So far today, I haven't been naughty; but I'll confess it's REALLY tempting.
Noah's 5th Birthday
2 months ago